Braxton. Charley. Brady.

Braxton. Charley. Brady.
My Joy

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

To Discipline or Not To Discipline

Now when I talk about my son I mostly have all positive things to say and for the most part he is exceptional, but recently I have been experiencing a lot of "talking back." I never dealt with the terrible 2s or really even terrible 3s so this sassyness is something new to me for the most part. I probably shouldn't even say that because people might hate me now. However, now we are experiencing some bossyness from my 4 year old that I would LOVE to live without. For example, yesterday as I am trying to get everything in the house with all the rain I tell Braxton to please take his shoes off before he comes inside and he yells back you take your shoes off Mommy mine are staying on. Um excuse me sir who are you talking to? He usually quickly replies I am just kidding.. or in his language he says I am just bekidding (don't ask me why, but thats how he pronounces it). Anyways this is becoming his normal just saying something sassy back at me. I cannot stand it and last night I had had enough. Now as parents we all know discipline is usually harder on the parent than the child. Last night I was totally reminded of that. I think Conrad and I do a great job with discipline. We are good at following through, but last night I sooo badly wanted to give in. Braxton LOVES storytime and last night he lost that privledge. Saying this kid cried wouldn't do it justice, he was to the point of hyperventilation. You know that over the top crying. Now I don't know if anyone is like me, but when I see that dramatic cry I can't help but laugh. For Braxton, not getting a story was the end of his world and I couldn't help but laugh thinking kid this is nothing. I kept having to turn my head away. Now I knew Braxton felt bad about being sassy, but I had to stick to my guns even though it would have been a lot easier to just say ok your sorry lets read.

Braxton got over it and today is a new day. I told my husband later that night how bad I felt. Braxton just kept saying your the one who is being mean and I kept having to go back to why we had to do this. Man I hate discipline, but I also look at how good Braxton is most of the time and realize that didn't just happen over night. I discipline him because I love him and I want to set him up to be the best person he can be. I just wish the crocodile tears didn't have to come with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment