Braxton. Charley. Brady.

Braxton. Charley. Brady.
My Joy

Thursday, February 25, 2010

What's really important

This is a story I have to share. A while back I was looking at Braxton's stroller and realized I needed something better to run with. I had always wanted a jogging stroller and I thought well I will go look. So I went to babies-R-us and I found the perfect one. I decided to buy it because it was on sale. After I was done at babies-r-us I thought well I have to go to my favortie store Target because well why not. As I was there I saw the same stroller for a cheaper price so I called babies-r-us to see if they would match it and they said yes. I drove back to babies-r-us and they told me they needed a flyer to prove it, I just told them well I am just going to give this one back and go buy Target's because I didn't need all this hassel. I was so irritated and to make matters worse when I got back to Target I realized they were out of the stroller. I was fuming. Here I was trying to buy a stroller and I had made 4 trips already and had NO stroller. I just decided to give up for the day. As I was leaving Target I saw a girl who was in tears with her head looking down at the ground, almost as if she was embarressed. Then I noticed she was holding a sign that was asking for help to feed her family because she was a single Mom who had lost her job. Every angry emotion I had fadded away and I realized God was reminding me about what really is important in life. Right after I saw her I took off to my house to fill up bags of food. I couldn't believe how ridiculous I was being over a stroller, when this girl had no money to feed her children. Once I got back to the girl I handed her bags of food, she was so thankful she gave me the biggest hug. It brought tears to my eyes. After people in there cars saw me, they all were bringing out things to give her too. It was like they realized the same thing I had realized that day. Sometimes in life we forget about whats important. There are people with no roof over their head, no food on the table, or fighting for their life with an illness and we get upset because that shirt we really wanted wasn't in our size. Really take time to remember what matters in life and how lucky we are to have the things we have. God had answered my prayers that day when I asked for guidance and only reassured me that he is always guiding me through my journey in life.

4 comments:

  1. This is an interesting situation. This lady obviously needed help. It is great what you, and all of the people you inspired, did for her. In rough times, she is going to need a lot of help from a lot of people to support her family. My hope however, is that while she is receiving help from the people in our community, she is also actively looking for a new job. There are plenty of opportunities for her to make some money to support her children. While she will need help until she finds that job, I hope for the sake of her children at home that she is not solely relying on everybody around her. But you are completely right, we should not take for granted anything that we have been so fortunate to receive in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome, Ashley!! Such a good post! This is a great reminder that it's not all about us. We can easily get tied up in our own lives that we don't notice our blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, you are such a sweetheart. Thanks for the reminder of what's important in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are all here on this earth together and helping one another is what it is all about. Thank you for that wonderful reminder Ash. Judging other people is not our job....you will never know what they are going through until you walk in those shoes. No matter what you think is "right" or "wrong", helping others when they are down , even strangers, is the best gift we can give each other.

    ReplyDelete